Student Produced TV

WBUC

Filed under Sports

Laura Bonheimer- November Female Athlete of the Month

Laura Bonheimer may have started swimming in eighth grade when a coach dragged her into the sport, but she has now broken a diving record, and is currently looking toward breaking a second. While the uncertainty and scare factor of the sport might keep others away, these are the very factors that keep Laura coming back for more. Her determination and amazing work ethic not only push her to be better, but push everyone around her to be the best possible versions of themselves, both in and out of the pool.

When Laura broke the 6 dive record for sixteen year olds, it was something just about everyone heard about. Breaking a record is no small feat, and now that Laura has had a taste, she will continue to work relentlessly until her latest goal is reached.

She is now gunning for the 11 dive record, as well as achieving a spot at states this year. As with any sport, swimming and diving require a great amount of discipline and hard work in order to become the amazing athlete that many kids dream of being. For Laura, the toughest part of the sport is the mental game.

“You always have to push yourself,.” stated Bornheimer. The same could be said for many things in life , and Laura would know, as she is much more than just a swimmer. She plays fl ute as a member of the school band and is a member of the choir. She is also a basketball player and is considering running track this spring.

Laura finds plenty of support in her team, and she describes her coach Kevin Morgan as crazy, but an inspiration nonetheless. “We are one of kind because we are actually a family.” Bornheimer said of her teammates. As with any close knit group, the team has some typical high school drama, but they are always able to work through it and remain the strong family that they love so much.

“ Laura is always positive, even when practice, or life in general, is hard. Whenever someone on the team is feeling down, she always makes them smile in some way. She really brightens the mood of the team at both practices and meets.” said Bornheimer’s teammate Abby Reith.

As a junior, Laura has begun to consider her options as she approaches the end of her high school career. As of right now, she would like to become a child education teacher, and she would love to continue diving in college. As far as which college to choose, she is not completely decided, but she is looking into SUNY Oswego and the many great programs they offer.

Laura Bornheimer already has some great accomplishments under her belt, and it is safe to say that there will most likely be more to come. With her determination and and the sup-
port of her team, coaches, and family, we can’t wait to see what comes next.