Student Produced TV

WBUC

Sweater Weather

Bri Bush

As the weather gets colder we tend to start dressing in layers, double sweatshirts, leggings under sweatpants, and giant sweaters with long sleeve shirts underneath. Most girls in the winter have a few go to looks, whether it is a fluffy sweater, a comfy sweatshirt, or a nice warm scarf atop any shirt. Some sweaters are not used for warmth but for style, and this creates a dilemma for those who want the best of both worlds.

The girls who choose style over warmth may choose to go with a cropped or holey sweater, which do nothing to block the icy wind. The style of sweaters have changed over the years, from tight fitting turtleneck sweaters to the more modern, loose fitting crew or v- neck sweaters. With the changes in style, certain patterns have become complex and some might consider them to be somewhat ugly.
With the holidays, ugly sweaters are encouraged and have become a tradition to many people. The high school has an annual contest revolving around the ugliest sweaters that students can find/make. In the past, the freshman class officers have voted each year to find the top ten ugliest sweaters. The contest is a fundraiser for their class, helping pay for the dances and events that their class is responsible for. The winners are awarded with gift cards and other prizes. Last year’s first place winner, Tyler Dohse, won a Man in the Moon candy basket.

To better their chances, students can also wear more than just their sweaters. Some girls with longer hair may attempt the “Cindy Lou- Who” look, with tinsel, lights and ornaments for flare. Others put on their most festive socks, headbands, jewelry and hats. Some girls even pair their ensemble with Christmas themed, or regular leggings with holiday boxers or shorts.

This year’s competition took place on Friday, December 23, the day before break. In order to participate a student or teacher must bring a dollar to their lunch period and find one of the officers in charge of taking the sweater pictures. Each contestant gets their picture taken with their name on a white board. After all the pictures are collected, the officers go through and select the best sweater.

The winners of this year’s competition received gift cards and baskets from a variety of shops in Oswego. The student winners include (from first to last), Dalton Babcock, Nolan Busch, Jasmine Scruton, Brianna Batchelor, Patrick Dowdle, Olivia DeLorenzo and Hannah Strzelinski, Deonte Parker, and Jenna Bradshaw.

The winning teachers were (from first to last), Ms. Vollmer, Mr. Stacy, and Mrs. Roman. Congratulations to all winners and participants, and good luck next year!